SQL Server Accept Remote Connections
Limitations and Restrictions
- The remote access option only applies to servers that are added by using sp_addserver, and is included for backward compatibility.
Execute permissions on sp_configure with no parameters or with only the first parameter are granted to all users by default. To execute sp_configure with both parameters to change a configuration option or to run the RECONFIGURE statement, a user must be granted the ALTER SETTINGS server-level permission. The ALTER SETTINGS permission is implicitly held by the sysadmin and serveradmin fixed server roles.
To configure the remote access option
- In Object Explorer, right-click a server and select Properties.
- Click the Connections node.
- Under Remote server connections, select or clear the Allow remote connections to this server check box.
- Connect to the Database Engine.
- From the Standard bar, click New Query.
- Copy and paste the following example into the query window and click Execute. This example shows how to use sp_configure to set the value of the remote access option to 0.
EXEC sp_configure ‘remote access’, 0 ; GO RECONFIGURE ; GO