Remote Desktop without port Forwarding
The following diagram shows the connection between all devices.
As you can see, the main goal is to connect your laptop (RDP Client) to the Windows Professional (RDP server). But if your Wireless Router does not get a non-shared public static IP address from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), you need to get such IP address from UnblockVPN.
Once you connect your Wireless Router to the UnblockVPN, it will get a non-shared public static IP address. After that, the router will be visible and accessible from the Laptop using that IP address.
Now you have access to the wireless router, but not to the Windows Professional (RDP Server). So you need to tell the Wireless Router to forward all RDP data (usually port 3389) to the Windows Professional.
And that’s it. Let’s look at the detailed guide of how to configure all the mentioned steps with a real situation and devices.
Main guide – How to configure it?
- First thing you need to do is to connect your router to VPN in order to get public static IP address and set up port forwarding to port 3389. This step is described in following guide: VPN and port forwarding configuration guide for TP-Link TL-WR841N.
- You have to allow RDP on the computer that you want to access remotely. Enter the word “Allow” into Windows Search Bar and click on “Allow remote access to your computer”.
- Go to “Remote”, check “Allow remote connections to this computer” and click “OK”. That is all you have to do on the remote computer that you want to access.
- On your RDP client (the computer which you will access your remote computer from) open Windows search bar and enter word “Remote” and click on “Remote Desktop Connection”.
- Enter your UnblockVPN dedicated IP address (the IP which has been assigned to the wireless router in STEP 1 in this guide) and click “Connect”.
- Enter Windows login details of the remote computer (RDP Server).
- This is how a successfully established remote connection looks like. You can control the remote computer in the opened window.
This solution works not only for RDP connection, but you can use it for a remote connection to CCTV, NAS or different type of a remote server. If you need any further help or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.