Remote Control Your home computer
The process is extremely simple: just setup RDP or VNC on your system, and install and configure compatible apps on your computer and the Android device. Then you can securely connect to the configured system from anywhere in the world, say from the comfort of your sofa or from the deserts of India.
In this post, we’ll take a look at the five of the best Android apps, which help to remotely access and control your computer from almost anywhere with an Internet connection.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one remote control solution, then TeamViewer is the product you’re looking for. It provides amazingly fast and secure access to computers and mobile devices. The tool helps you or your team to access any system remotely, provide online support to customers and administer unattended computers or servers across different platforms.
TeamViewer is no doubt the easiest and most feature-ful tool for remote control as compared to the other solutions in this list. It also offers support for more number of devices than any other solution, making it the best choice if you’re looking for a multi-platform solution.
TeamViewer comes with numerous attractive features such as:
- Connect to all major desktop and mobile platforms including Windows, macOS, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS.
- Supports screen sharing as well as complete control of remote devices.
- Single window console to manage contacts, devices, sessions and more.
- Offers chat and VoIP features for making calls, conferences and meetings.
- Record the remote sessions including screen, audio & video and VoIP.
- Shared clipboard allows copying and pasting text, images and files easily.
- Transfer files with speed up to 200 MB/s across any two remote devices.
- Supports controlled access via trusted devices as well as white and blacklists.
- Secures the remote connection with powerful 256-bit AES to encrypt sessions and 2048-bit RSA for key exchange along with optional two-factor authentication.
- Free for personal use but doesn’t include various advanced features.
- Offers online help videos and support documents including how-to tutorials.
TeamViewer does lack at some places, for example:
- Doesn’t connect to systems running open-source VNC or third-party VNC software like TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc.
- It’s a proprietary software that comes for premium price for business users.
VNC Viewer is a remote control app from RealVNC (innovators of VNC itself) that gives you instant remote access of your computers or servers from anywhere using your mobile. VNC Viewer establishes secure, seamless and reliable cloud connections to VNC or VNC Connect compatible computers without the need of any network configuration.
If you’re searching for a free and open source solution, then VNC Viewer is your only option in this list. Though the app is itself not open sourced, but contrary to other tools, it can connect to computers running open-source VNC. However, you may find some features missing while using open-source option.
VNC Viewer offers various awesome features as listed below:
- Connects to all popular desktop operating systems such as Windows, Mac, Linux and also to Raspberry Pi.
- Connects to computers using open-source VNC or third-party VNC-compatible software like TightVNC, Apple Screen Sharing, etc.
- Provides backup and sync connection details using the RealVNC’s cloud account.
- Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mices for easy control on mobile devices.
- Offers multiple authentication schemes to prevent unauthorized access.
- Encrypt whole connections to prevent eavesdropping by malicious entities.
- Blacklists the users failing authentication to prevent attacks and port scan.
- Avails online documentation as well as support through chat and email.
- Offers cloud-only, free subscription of VNC Connect for home users.
VNC Viewer lacks at various points in comparison to others like:
- Can’t connect to mobile platforms.
- Costs premium price for its VNC Connect to business users .
- Doesn’t support file transfer feature to/from free home subscription and using Android, iOS and Chrome-powered devices.
Microsoft Remote Desktop is the best go-to tool to get work done on a Windows system remotely using an Android mobile device. It doesn’t need any software installation on the remote system until that runs Windows and you know how to configure Remote Desktop. If not, then you only need to install Remote Desktop Assistant and it does all for you.
Microsoft Remote Desktop is the right choice for you if you’re looking for a Windows-only solution. Though the tool doesn’t work for any other platform yet it works like a charm to remote control a Windows PC. It’s packed with basic features like shared clipboard but lacks advanced features offered by others such as file transfer, chat and voice call, etc.