How to Connect to a VPN network?
Often it is necessary to change the settings on your home router to allow access to the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Some routers need to have their Point to Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) settings changed before they will work with the Imperial College London VPN. Contact your Internet service provider to arrange this.
If your VPN settings are correct but you are still unable to connect, follow these steps:
- Look at the sticker on the back of router and locate the web address under Super Hub Settings (or similar).
- Open a web browser on your machine and enter the web address.
- Enter the username and password on the sticker when prompted.
- Click on Advanced Settings and then Firewall Settings to make sure that PPTP Pass Through is ticked.
- Click on Services and make sure PPTP Pass Through is ticked.
- Click on Firewall Settings, then Advanced Settings, then Security and make sure that PPTP Pass Through is ticked.
- Try setting up the VPN connection again.
Steps 4-6 are general as all routers are slightly different.
Occasionally your home Internet service provider will update your router without telling you and resetting any changes you have made. If your VPN connection suddenly stops working and you receive an Error 619, 800 or a message that states The PPP server could not be authenticated, then you will need to make the changes again.